Appita Short Courses are very popular, with about 12 courses in Australia and six in New Zealand each year. Courses range from one to five days and cater for a broad range of industry needs, from our introductory ‘ABCs of Pulp & Paper’ and ABCs of Printing’ to advanced courses in very specific areas.
The course program is developed in consultation with senior managers in the industry and can be run either as ‘public’ courses or specifically tailored to a mill’s needs. Presenters are drawn from local experts and from overseas. Some courses are very popular and are held annually, such as ‘Principles of Papermaking’’.
We regularly run courses in conjunction with OMNI Continental and Pronamics Inc, both from Vancouver, Canada, FRM Consulting and Acrowood from Seattle, USA, and with APPI, the Pulp and Paper Research Institute at Monash University. We also invite local and overseas specialists to present focused courses such as wastewater treatment, corrosion, shut planning, statistics and wet end chemistry.
• The functions of the individual chemicals and interactions with furnish components
• Critical ranges of temperature, pH and chemical environment which will ensure optimum performance from these chemicals
• The interactions of the chemical groups with each other and their dependence on the parameters of the wet-end, e.g. temperature, conductivity, dissolved ionic species and pH
• How to troubleshoot paper machine runnability and product quality problems that can result from wet-end chemistry imbalance
• How effective use of chemicals can help reduce costs and improve efficiency
Venue: to be advised
Cost: Appita Members $1200 Non-members $1500 (30% discount for groups of 3 or more)
This course will deliver a broader as well as deeper level of understanding of the Australian paper industry, and the unit processes in the paper production chain. It involves some laboratory demonstrations to give participants firsthand knowledge of some of the principles discussed in the lectures.
It is an advanced seminar for process engineers, production line managers, technical service personnel and sales and marketing people and others who wish to understand more about the unit processes in making paper.
Venue: to be advised
Cost: Appita Members $900 Non-members $1200 (30% discount for groups of 3 or more)